It’s Official: TikTok Has Taken Over
If you’re into short-form video content, there’s a good chance TikTok is one of the first apps you open every morning. The app that came out of nowhere in 2018 and boasted 500 million monthly active users in its first year has now doubled its user base and continues to grow.
What is TikTok?
Essentially, TikTok is an app centered around short videos. Think of it as shorter versions of YouTube videos… with a twist. Videos are typically created with “trending sounds” or “trending songs,” sometimes with “trending filters.” Those aren’t the only types of videos you’ll find on the app, but if you want to go viral, sticking to trends is your best bet.
Who Uses TikTok?
The app is dominated by Gen Z, but many Millennials can be found scrolling their “For You Page” for hours on end. Here are a few interesting stats we found:
- 52.38% of TikTok users globally are between the ages of 18 and 24 (Statista)
- As of April 2021, 48% of U.S. adults between 18-29 use TikTok, compared to 20% of adults between 30-49 and 14% among 50-64 year olds (Pew Research Center)
- 25% of Americans between 12 and 34 have used TikTok compared to 3% of adults aged 35+ (MarketingCharts)
- TikTok is now available in more than 200 countries (Oberlo)
Why Should Brands be on the Platform?
If your brand hasn’t embraced TikTok yet, the question isn’t why should they. It’s why shouldn’t they? With the app being the number one frequently and consistently engaged with platform, there are so many opportunities for brands to communicate to existing and potential customers. For example, Taco Bell recently worked with Doja Cat to promote its Mexican Pizza campaign. After the menu item was discontinued a year ago, the fast-food restaurant worked with Doja Cat to film a song on TikTok, urging corporate to bring back the Mexican Pizza. When it hit the menu again, it went viral and sold out at locations across the country within hours. Still not convinced? Check this out:
- 2 out of 3 users are likely to buy something while on the platform (TikTok)
- TikTok users are 2x as likely as users of traditional social platforms to recommend a product or service they’ve discovered on the app and 1.5x more successful at convincing others to try the product or service (Material & TikTok)
- When users see brands organic TikTok content before their paid ads, there is a 27% increase in brand recall (Neurons Inc.)
If you’re still not sure whether your brand should be on TikTok, scroll through the app yourself. You’ll probably get hooked before you know it.
Speaking of TikTok, iluminere digital agency in Dallas, Tx provides social media strategy and content creation. If you want to push your advertising to the next level, come chat with us.
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram to see what we’re up to. Also, connect with us on LinkedIn for more business news.